Trusted Breast Care
Breast Diagnostic Specialists is committed to providing the highest quality breast imaging services on the Sunshine Coast, in a welcoming environment tailored specifically for women. In our dedicated practice we provide:
- Comprehensive services including breast screening, breast diagnostics, interventional procedures and breast consultation.
- Welcoming private environment, specifically tailored for women.
- Procedures including Core Biopsy, Hookwire localization, Cyst Aspiration, Fine needle aspiration, Stereotactic Biopsy.
- 3D mammography (Tomosynthesis) exams on the Selenia® Dimensions® 3D system by Hologic (including 2D mammography imaging).
- Fully accredited specialists, FRANZCR and accreditation by Breast Screening Qld.
- Mammograms independently read by two Breast Diagnostic Specialists.
- Consultation for your patients on the day with an on-site Specialist.
- Highly trained staff dedicated to trusted breast care.
- We also offer Breast MRI.
- Early detection is the best defence against breast cancer.
We are pleased to offer 3D Mammography (Breast Tomosynthesis) on the Sunshine Coast as both a screening tool for asymptomatic patients and as a diagnostic imaging tool for patients presenting with symptoms. A 3D Mammography exam takes a series of images at various angles, allowing breast tissue to be examined in thin ‘layers’, typically 1mm thick. This provides greater image clarity and helps us to see through overlapping structures that may mimic or hide lesions. Very low X-ray energy is used – about the same as a film screen mammogram, which is well within the recommended guidelines1. 3D mammography has been shown to be superior to traditional 2D mammography.
Identifying Suitable Patients for a Breast Diagnostic Exam
Referring patients for a diagnostic mammogram provides the benefit of immediate review by a Breast Diagnostic Specialist and can include additional imaging at the same time. The following high risk patient types may be suited to a diagnostic referral.
- Changes or lumps in their breasts1
- Strong family history of breast or ovarian cancer 1
- Dense breast tissue2,3,4
- Previous diagnosis of breast disease or those requiring further assessment following a screening mammogram 1
If you are referring patients to us for a diagnostic 3D mammogram, please include a written referral detailing the clinical indications.
Our Breast Specialists
Our 3D Screening and Mammography scans are independently read by two of our fully accredited Specialists (FRANZCR and accreditation with BreastScreen Qld).
Our Breast Imaging Services
We provide a comprehensive range of services including breast screening, breast diagnostics, 3D Mammgraphy, ultrasound, breast MRI, interventional procedures and breast consultation.
Our Interventional procedure services include:
- Hookwire localisation
- Core Biopsy
- Cyst Aspiration
- Fine Needle Aspiration
- Stereotactic Biopsy
- Vacuum Assisted Biopsy
- Breast Cancer Risk Factors: a review of the evidence July 2009, National Breast and Ovarian Cancer Centre.
- Skaane P, Bandos A, Gullien R, et al. “Comparison of Digital Mammography Alone and Digital Mammography Plus Tomosynthesis in a Population-based Screening Program.” Radiology. 2013 Apr; 267(1):47-56. Epub 2013 Jan 7.
- Rose S, Tidwell A, Bujnock L, et al. “Implementation of Breast Tomosynthesis in a Routine Screening Practice: An Observational Study.” American Journal of Roentengenology. 2013 Jun; 200(6): 1401-1408. Epub 2013 May 22.
- Ciatto S, Houssami N, Bernardi D, et al. “Integration of 3D Digital Mammography with Tomosynthesis for Population Breast-Cancer Screening (STORM): A Prospective Comparison Study” The Lancet Oncology. Epub 2013 Apr 25.